(Image Credit/Source- bleacherreport.com)
Obviously there has been alot of news in recent weeks regarding David Luiz’s future at Chelsea. News came out earlier this month that David Luiz was keen to stay at Chelsea, but wanted more than one-year extension offered to him. But Chelsea were reluctant to change their policy of only offering Players aged 30 one-year contract extensions.
More recent news has come out that David Luiz will be allowed to leave for free at the end of the season, due to Chelsea not changing their stance of offering players over 30 one year contract extensions. Meaning that David Luiz would be free to talk to any club in January- which comes as a big blow to Sarri, as he values David Luiz highly in his team, as he brought him in back from the dark after the Conte era.
In this article, I weigh up the benefits of David Luiz staying and the drawbacks of him staying for a few more years, and then i’ll give my verdict at the end of the article on what I think will happen.
Benefits of David Luiz staying for a few more years
- He is a leader in Sarri’s team- Sarri brought Luiz back into his Chelsea team this year, after he was frozen out after a fall out with Conte last season, and since then it is clear to see that Luiz is vital in Sarri’s team. This season so far, out of 20 Premier League games- the Brazilian has made 19 appearances in Sarri’s back 4 in the Premier League. Maurizio Sarri has also admitted recently that he want’s ‘leaders’ like David Luiz and Cesc Fabregas to stay at Chelsea, and he has urged Chelsea to find a solution. So if Chelsea don’t find a solution, could that create friction between the Chelsea board and Sarri? Will Chelsea want to risk making Sarri demotivated by selling one of his ‘leaders’?
- Luiz provides an attacking threat to this Chelsea team- This was shown yesterday after his superb assist for Kante’s goal. The Brazilian was a main reason for Chelsea collecting 3 points yesterday in the London derby. He also scored a vital header against Manchester City to condemn the Sky Blues to their first defeat of the season. I think the main point that makes him an attacking threat in this team is that he is a ball playing centre back, which is unique as there aren’t many ball playing centre backs in the Premier League. So he adds a unique aspect in the attacking sense to this Chelsea team, as he sets up many of Chelsea’s attacks. In his two spells so far at Chelsea, the Brazilian has scored 9 goals and has gained 5 assists.
- Luiz is a winner- He won the title with Chelsea in Conte’s first season (2016/17), where he was excellent in Conte’s back 3. As Luiz is a winner, he knows what it is like to be in a title winning side. And as Sarri will be looking to win the title in future seasons, he will see David Luiz as a vital piece to the jigsaw as he has the experience of winning a Premier League title.
- Luiz knows Chelsea so well- Luiz left Chelsea after his first spell at the club to join PSG then left the Parisians to rejoin Chelsea as he loves the club. The Brazilian has been at the club for a while now and has played alongside Chelsea greats like Terry and Lampard, so the Brazilian knows what it means to be a Chelsea player. So he could act as a role model to younger players like Ampadu and Hudson-Odoi, as they could learn from the Brazilian- on how special it is to be part of this great club.
(Photo Credit/Source- The Evening Standard)
Drawbacks of David Luiz staying for a few more years
- Could hinder development of younger/other Chelsea defenders- for example Andreas Christensen is a Chelsea defender who can’t get into Sarri’s starting eleven in the Premier League, as Sarri’s opts for a centre back partnership of Luiz and Rüdiger. This has led to Christensen not getting alot of first team action, and leading to his agent putting pressure on Chelsea to find a place for him in the team. Christensen has been linked with a move to Barcelona due to him not getting enough playing time in Sarri’s first team in the League. So Christensen would welcome Luiz leaving Chelsea as this would open the door for Christensen to play more in Sarri’s back 4 in the League. Also looking at younger players like Ampadu- Luiz leaving could mean that more opportunities may open up for the Welshman to gain more first team game time under Sarri in the League.
- Would mean that Chelsea would have to change thier policy- Luiz being offered more than a one year extension would be unusual as Chelsea have not offered a 30 year old more than one year extension- even the likes of Drogba! So if Luiz does stay, Chelsea would have to change their entire policy just to satisfy the Brazilian.
(Photo Credit/Source- talkSPORT)
Verdict/What do I think will Happen?
I think that we need to keep Luiz as he is vital to Sarri, and Sarri see’s him as a ‘leader’, suggesting that Sarri could even offer him the captaincy in future seasons if he stays with the Blues. So I personally think that he is too valuable to let go.
Also if he does leave, how do we know that other defenders will get a chance at Chelsea? Mats Hummels has been linked with Chelsea recently. Could Chelsea replace David Luiz with the experienced German centre back? So there are no guarantees that the likes of Ampadu and Christensen will get more chances in Sarri’s eleven in the Premier League if Luiz leaves.
I think that this issue will drag on a while. I think we could see what happened with Fellaini at Manchester United, whereby the Belgium spoke to other clubs in January, whilst his manager was begging him to stay. So i think that the club will be forced to find a compromise with the Brazilian, as Sarri really wants him to stay, and therefore i think that he will sign a new contract at the end of the season.
Leave me your thoughts down below in the comments. Do you want David Luiz to stay at Chelsea for a few more years?
Also Check out the ABDH Premier League review show podcast, where Hannah and I review all the action from the Premier League over the weekend, including Chelsea’s vital win in the London derby against Crystal Palace.
By Danyal Khan