As Chelsea slumped to an embarrassing 4-0 defeat on the South Coast yesterday evening in the Premier League, I look at the 5 key talking points for this encounter from a Chelsea perspective.
- David Luiz had a shocker yesterday- David Luiz has played very well this season for most games. However yesterday reminded Chelsea fans that the defender still can have his moments. For every goal he looked suspect in some way. But especially the second Bournemouth goal, where he sloppily gave the ball away under pressure and that eventually led to Brooks scoring. Here’s how Chelsea fans reacted to Luiz’s role in Bournemouth’s second goal;
Some Chelsea fans will joke that him getting smacked in the face before half-time, affected his performance in the second half. Here was that incident;
Have all Chelsea fans lost faith in the Brazilian? I certainly haven’t. However this fan on 100 percent Chelsea looks like he has given up on Luiz;
2. Kovacic is not meant for the left-centre midfield role- With Chelsea looking like not signing a Cesc Fabregas replacement before the deadline, they need a permanent back up for the regista roll. And many Chelsea fans and I see Kovacic as that option.
As a left centre midfielder, you need to provide an attacking threat and score a few goals. Even though Kovacic hit the bar early into the game yesterday, he didn’t do enough in the attacking phase. And he’s been like this for most of the season.
My solution- Play Loftus-Cheek in the LCM position. As soon as Loftus-Cheek came on yesterday, he made a big difference.
This is an incredible stat to show why Kovacic shouldn’t be starting in that Left Centre midfield position;
3. Higuain was starved of service yesterday- As a decent striker comes into the Chelsea team, you would expect Chelsea to be significantly better in attack. However this wasn’t the case. And yesterday highlighted a huge issue in this Chelsea team. And that issue is a lack of creativity. Due to lacking creativity in the midfield, Higuain struggled as a result in yesterday’s game.
However, there is bad news for Chelsea fans as Higuain is a doubt for the Huddersfield game, due to an injury and also not being fully fit.
4. Dropping Hudson-Odoi from the squad was a massive mistake- I think after Sarri confirmed that Hudson-Odoi would be staying in his pre-match press conference for this game, most people expected him to make an appearance at least in yesterday’s game. However as the team news came out and Hudson-Odoi wasn’t named in the 18 man squad, it shocked many Chelsea fans including me.
Maybe he had an injury. Maybe he was Ill. However this wasn’t the case!
Reports came out 15 minutes after the team news was released that Hudson-Odoi was dropped from the squad completely, as a punishment for handing in a transfer request!
This was a baffling decision, and completely backfired on Sarri as Chelsea lacked any cutting edge of the right wing with Pedro, and Hudson-Odoi would have provided that to the Chelsea team yesterday.
Sarri said this about Hudson-Odoi after the game yesterday;
5. Sarri was to blame heavily for the loss yesterday- Alongside the players, Sarri has to take much of the criticism that came his way after yesterday’s defeat. Firstly axing Hudson-Odoi from the squad completely was his first mistake like mentioned in point number 4.
However, my main problem with Sarri yesterday wasn’t really the line up, as I was happy to see him finally pick Emerson ahead of Alonso. What really frustrated me was his in game management.
He only makes like for like substitutions, showing that he has no plan B. When we are losing and getting thrashed, he just sticks with the same system!
Examples from yesterday of his like for like substitutions; Willian on for Pedro. Loftus-Cheek on for Kovacic, and Giroud on for Higuain which led to boeing from the Chelsea fans, and chants of ‘you don’t know what you are doing!.
The question I would ask Sarri would be why not at 2-0 down, bring Giroud on, but not for Higuain?
Why not sacrifice Kovacic and go for it more with 2 strikers on the pitch?
There are alot of questions that need to be answered by him in the next couple of weeks.
Anyway, here is Sarri’s reaction to Chelsea’s defeat yesterday;
Chelsea next play on Saturday against Huddersfield at 3pm. Can they players bounce back once again after being criticised by the manager?
Whereas Bournemouth next play on Saturday but in the later kick off away to Cardiff. So can Bournemouth keep up the good momentum they have after picking up that amazing result yesterday, and pick up 3 points at the Cardiff City stadium?
Leave me down below your thoughts on my 5 key talking points. Do you agree with the points that I have made.
By Danyal Khan