Chelsea bounced back emphatically after their humiliating midweek loss to Bournemouth on the South Coast. Here are 5 key talking points from Chelsea’s 5-0 thrasing over Huddersfield in the Premier League yesterday.
- Higuain bagged a brace in his first home Premier League game- Higuain got up and running in a Chelsea shirt in his third appearance for the club in all competitions. The Argentinian yesterday showed his class with both goals, and demonstrated to Chelsea fans that he could be the instinctive striker that Chelsea have missed since the likes of Diego Costa and Didier Drogba. One element of his game that impressed many Chelsea fans was his movement off the ball, and his instinctive nature which he demonstrated for both goals. Check out this interesting stat related to Higuain;
Another interesting stat in relation to the good chemistry between Higuain and Sarri, is that after the two goals yesterday, Higuain has scored 38 goals in 38 league appearances under the Italian boss, just showing why Sarri wanted the board to sign him in January.
In case you missed it, here are the Higuain goals from yesterday;
2. Alonso is still a problem, despite his performance in the second half- The selection of Alonso in the starting line up today did annoy a few Chelsea fans, but when the new came out that Emerson picked up a knock in the warm up- that explained that decision well.
Alonso started the game very poorly, and as a result- Huddersfield were targeting his side in the first half and causing multiple problems down the left hand side, as Diakhaby was rinsing Alonso on many occasions but they didn’t fully punish the Spanish fullback as their end product let them down.
Alonso got better in the second half, but the main worry for me and many Chelsea fans is that if that was a better opposition, then Alonso would have been punished.
This was a good tweet from a Chelsea fan, which summed up Alonso’s performance in the first half well;
3. Christensen performed well in the absence of Rüdiger- It was revealed after the team news was released at 2pm yesterday, that Rüdiger picked up a slight injury in the Bournemouth game midweek. Therefore, that led to a centre back pairing of Luiz and Christensen.
The Danish centre back put in a solid performance. Now some fans would say that it was only Huddersfield, however Andreas had to put in a solid performance regardless, to stake his claim to be in the first team more. Here’s the conundrum that Sarri now faces;
4. Not starting Hudson-Odoi and Loftus-Cheek in this game confused many Chelsea fans- After the humiliation of the Bournemouth result in midweek. Many Chelsea fans were expecting Hudson-Odoi and Loftus-Cheek to start today, and when the team news came out, many fans were frustrated that Barkley and Willian started over the English pair.
The two English players did make a late cameo in the game, but is Sarri giving these two players enough chances and game time to convince them that they will be part of his long-term project?
Willian and Barkley did have good games yesterday, but many fans were annoyed that they didn’t see the English pair start.
5. Hazard looked back to his best- After recent criticism from Sarri towards the Belgium, and with the recent admission from the Belgium that he frustrates all his manager, everyone expected some sort of reaction for the winger today, especially against bottom of the table Huddersfield.
And he did produce that reaction, with a world class performance. The Belgium winger bagged 2 goals today, and also linked up perfectly with Higuain.
And many Chelsea fans now think that if Higuain and Hazard can link up well to the end of the season, then they could be the two players who fire Sarri to a top 4 place at the end of the season.
ICYMI- here are Hazard’s two goals from the game yesterday;
This is what Sarri had to say after the game, in relation to the link-up play between Hazard and Higuain;
And here is a view of a bitter opposition fan, who can’t accept how good Eden Hazard is;
Chelsea now have a week’s break until their next game, which is next Sunday against Manchester City away in the Premier League at 4pm. Can Sarri’s side show that this result wasn’t just a blip? Or will City humiliate the Blues just look Bournemouth did midweek?
By Danyal Khan