As we eagerly anticipate another clash between Chelsea and Tottenham tonight it’s time to take ‘a trip down memory lane’ and revisit the classic 4-3 Chelsea victory at Stamford Bridge which took place on this day twenty five years ago!

Picture via

There have been some epic clashes between the two teams over the years. This one was no different apart from where both clubs were in the league. It wasn’t even a top half clash as both sides were looking over their shoulder at the dreaded relegation places.

Sunday 27th February 1994;

It was a Premier League game with a 5pm kick off which was also broadcasted live on Sky Sports.

Chelsea Team: Kharine, Clarke, Donaghy, Johnsen, Kjeldberg, Burnley, Newton, Peacock, Wise, Spencer, Stein

The atmosphere in the ground was absolutely brilliant with ‘the shed’ end packed and in full voice.

Chelsea found themselves 0-2 down with two goals in a minute (Sedgley 17 mins & Dozzell 18 mins). I do wonder how fans would react to that today! What happened next was never to be believed.

Chelsea pulled one back through an unlikely scorer in Mal Donaghy on 33 minutes. Chelsea’s equaliser came seven minutes later through a new Stamford Bridge favourite in Mark Stein. There was now belief that Chelsea could go on and win the game. Five minutes before half time the comeback was complete with a great strike from little John Spencer and ex Tottenham legend and then Chelsea manager Glenn Hoddle could not hold back his celebrations!

Picture via

The drama continued in the second half. With around twenty minutes remaining Tottenham equalised through a penalty conceded by Erland Johnsen (handball) and was scored by Andy Gray. It was now 3-3! Just a few minutes later Tottenham were awarded another penalty this time a foul committed by Dimitri Kharine. The penalty was saved and Dimitri quickly turned from villain to hero!

Finally in the last minute of normal time as it appeared a 3-3 draw would be the final result there was one final twist in this epic London Derby. Gavin Peacock was fouled in the penalty box and it was Chelsea’s turn to be awarded a penalty. It would be Mark Stein to take it and if scored it would surely be the match winner.

Picture via YouTube

Mark stepped up and smashed it hard into the top corner. The whole of Stamford Bridge erupted. The referee soon blew his whistle and Chelsea won 4-3!

Picture via

Hoping for something a little more straight forward tonight but ultimately we just need three important points against our London rivals. Not bothered how they come!

Come On Chelsea!

Written By Chris Wright