As Chelsea beat West Ham 2-0 in the London derby on Monday Night Football last night to boost their chances of a top four finish a the end of season, I look at the 5 key talking points from the game last night in the Premier League.
Before I get into it- the win tonight means that Chelsea go into third place on 66 points. Although they have played a game more than Tottenham, Arsenal and Manchester United.
- Sarri tinkered with line up but kept it similar to the line up fielded against Brighton- The big talking point before the game was to whether Sarri would choose a similar line up to the team that beat Brighton.
And the answer was that he did select a very similar team to the one that played on Wednesday. The team consisted of two changes; Rudiger back in for Christensen, and Higuain in for Giroud.
Here was the line up in full;
This line up selection suggests that the likes of Willian, Pedro and Alonso will start on Thursday against Slavia Prague, which will be seen as great news to most Chelsea supporters.
On the whole, the social media reaction to this line up was positive from the Chelsea fans;
2. Hazard scores a world class goal- The Belgian has already scored a worldie this season at Anfield in Chelsea’s 2-1 win over Liverpool in the Carabao Cup. Here is a reminder of that goal encase you have forgot about this goal;
Well he scored another amazing goal today to put Chelsea 1-0 up in the 24th minute. He also should have had a penalty in the first half, but the referee made a massive mistake not giving it.
Here is the goal that Hazard scored last night;
This goal has proven how vital Hazard is to Chelsea, and it will be hard to see him leave in the Summer if his proposed move to Real Madrid goes through.
However, at least that goal adds another £20 million pounds to his value!
Here’s how a few Chelsea fans reacted to that Hazard goal;
Eden then topped his night off with another goal very late on.
The Belgian now has 19 goals in all competitions this season. And 16 of those goals have come in the league this season. Deserved man of the match performance in my opinion.
3. Loftus-Cheek bossed the midfield tonight- This performance from Ruben has surely nailed down his spot in the Premier League team now. He was a tank. Outmuscling all players in front of him. Picking out lots of passes, and just controlling the tempo of play.
He offers a better dynamic to the midfield than the likes of Kovacic and Barkley.
He topped his night off with an assist for Hazard’s 1st goal.
Here’s how a few Chelsea fans reacted to the performance of Loftus-Cheek last night;
4. Hudson Odoi with another top performance- Despite not getting a goal or assist tonight, the young English winger still had a great performance tonight.
His energy just brings freshness to the team. Him being in the team means that opponents have more than just Hazard to think about. Therefore he attracts some of the attention to himself, and allows Hazard to be more free and therefore score more goals.
And again, he was better in the defensive phase. So Sarri has no reason now not to start him against Liverpool on Sunday!
Here’s a stat to prove just what a complete performance it was from Hudson-Odoi, despite not scoring or assisting tonight;
5. Both Full backs were excellent last night- It was good to see Sarri sticking to Emerson and Azpilicueta as the fullbacks. And both of them had complete performances tonight. Defensively Emerson surprised me tonight. He’s usually suspect at the back, but he was intercepting everything thrown his way last night.
It wasn’t that surprising to see Azpilicueta being solid defensively. But he actually has more involvement in the attacking phase, compared to other games that he has played this season.
These two fullbacks have to start against Liverpool on Sunday. If Alonso somehow gets a start on Sunday- that will infuriate many Chelsea fans.
Here’s how a few Chelsea fans reacted to the performances of both their fullbacks;
Chelsea next play on Thursday in the Europa League, away to Slavia Prague. Expect alot of rotation for that game to keep players fresh for the Liverpool game on Sunday.
Like I have already said, Chelsea are back in Premier League action on Sunday at 4:30pm (UK time) against Liverpool at Anfield.
Whereas for West Ham- they next play on Saturday at 5:30pm (UK time) at Old Trafford against Manchester United.
Comment down below whether on not your agree with my 5 key talking points. Have I missed something out?
By Danyal Khan