As Chelsea beat Watford 3-0 at home in the Premier League yesterday, which moved them closer to a top four finish at the end of the season, I look at the five key talking points from this encounter yesterday.
- Kante injury blow- Chelsea didn’t have a good start to the game in many ways. The first factor that went against them, was the fact that Watford started the much brighter side, and the second factor was that Chelsea just have no luck with injuries at this current moment in time.
This was because in the 10th minute, Ngolo Kante went down with what looked like a hamstring injury. So he had to be replaced by Loftus-Cheek.
But at this crucial moment in the season- Is that the end for Kante?
If he is out for the remainder of the season, then it could be a big blow to the Blues. Luckily Chelsea nearly have top four secured now, so they won’t miss him in that aspect.
However with a second leg of a Europa League semi final coming up next week, and a potential Europa League final coming up- Kante being out for those games would be a big blow to Chelsea’s hopes of winning a European trophy.
Lets hope it’s not as bad as it initially looks, but at this moment- I doesn’t look too good…
2. Poor and lethargic first half- Chelsea had an awful first half. Part of the reason was due to how well Watford approached the game in the first half, and the other half was due to how slow and lethargic Chelsea’s play was in the first half.
Luckily for the Blues, Watford couldn’t take any of their chances- due to poor finishing and good goalkeeping from Kepa- especially from that Deeney header early on in the match to keep the score at 0-0.
In the first half, Gracia’s Watford played a style of football that Chelsea fans were hoping that Sarriball would be like- fast and attacking football which flowed really well.
Chelsea were just disjointed in that first half, but luckily that all changed…
3. Quick start to the second half won the Blues the match- Going into half time, there was a lot of negativity from the Chelsea fan base on social media.
Especially with the fact that in most games this season under Sarri, the first 15 minutes of the second half always seems to go very badly.
However that all changed today, with two quickfire goals within the first 10 minutes of the second half really put the Blues in a good position to claim the three points from this match.
Eden Hazard bagged two assists with those two quickfire goals in the second half. If that was his last game for Chelsea, then we must say thank you to the brilliant Belgian who has been our most important player for many years now.
4. Loftus-Cheek going from strength to strength- The English midfielder didn’t even start today, and was only on the pitch due to the fact that Kante got injured early in the match.
And again he showed us what he is made of. He was the driving force in our midfield once again, and deserved his second half goal in the 48th minute.
He has definitely got a big future at Chelsea!
Here’s how a few Chelsea fans reacted to RLC’s substitute appearance today:
5. Jorginho has had an excellent week- Since the Italian suffered his head injury against Frankfurt in midweek, his performances have seemed to improved surprisingly.
He played well against Frankfurt on Thursday, and again today showed a different side to his game. A side that we haven’t seen since he arrived in the summer.
We are all use to the Jorginho who just passes sideways and backwards, and can’t really defend well.
But in the last two games, he has been the complete opposite. He looks more ambitious with his passing, but the biggest thing is that he has looked solid defensively.
Hopefully he can now keep up this consistency in the last few games of the season, to ensure that he finishes the season on a high.
Here’s how a few Chelsea fans reacted to Jorginho’s performance today:
The other main talking point from this game was that Cahill’s little cameo from the bench at the end was his last game for Chelsea. Thank you for everything you have done at Chelsea and good luck for the future.
Chelsea next play on Thursday in the second leg of their Europa League semi final against Eintracht Frankfurt at Stamford Bridge. The Blues have a crucial away goal, so they will be looking to get the job done at home on Thursday night. The match kicks off at 8pm (UK time).
In terms of their last Premier League game, Chelsea travel to Leicester next Sunday to finish off their Premier League campaign for this year. It looks like a point is all that Chelsea need to secure top four next Sunday. The match at the King Power Stadium next Sunday kicks off at 3pm (UK time).
Watford finish off their impressive Premier League campaign at home to West Ham next Sunday at 3pm (UK time).
Comment down below what you make of my five key talking points. Have I missed something out?
By Danyal Khan