After a few early chances, the Blues opened the scoring with a goal from high-flying Beth England. The striker received the ball from Sophie Ingle and found the net from close range within the first eight minutes, following a sloppy clearance from Arsenal.

However, moments later, the Gunners were able to pick up the pace – resulting in a great chance and header by Louise Quinn which was saved by Ann-Katrin Berger. Leah Williamson also went down in the penalty area by a challenge from Ji So-yun, but the decision for the referee was an easy one to make.

Arsenal appeared to have not been affected by the early goal and have constantly put pressure on Chelsea’s defence. Berger had an excellent first half, blocking some crucial shots from our opponent.

Beth England also missed a chance to go two ahead after her header went slightly wide, following a cross from Guro Reiten. Within the first 45 minutes, the game was very back and forth, but Chelsea held their lead until the break.

During the beginning of the second half, Arsenal dominated possession, but Chelsea made the most of the possession they gained – including a chance by Reiten, blasting the ball just above the bar.

Shortly after, Chelsea had more chances but Arsenal’s keeper Manuela Zinsberger looked comfortable in front of goal, denying England.

Vivianne Miedema then had a chance, slightly going wide past the far post as the tense atmosphere between the two teams started to build. Just five minutes later, the forward had another superb attempt.

Arsenal got closer and closer to scoring, with Berger putting in an exceptional shift. However, the Gunners finally got their wish as Williamson’s shot took a deflection off Chelsea’s captain Magdalena Eriksson, making the score 1-1 in the final five minutes.

Berger was struggling in the final moments as she continued to suffer from a hit by Miedema, failing to clear a cross by Jordan Nobbs. She then saved a handful of attempts by the Gunners as the North London side continued to look increasingly dangerous.

But then the real magic happened – Kerr went on a superb run, fell and got up to pass the ball to Maren Mjelde who then gave it to Beth England as she tapped it in the net. The final score ended 2-1 to Chelsea, winning their first ever Continental Cup!